Friday, January 22, 2010

Sales, and a little more about me....

assorted 1:3 and 1:4 items with 1:4 'model' (i think)
items with 1:3 model (i think LOL)

My customer all the way from Spain very kindly gave me permission to use her pictures for this blog post :)

Thank you Siruveru!

Items above are from my very first sale at http://www.denofangels.com marketplace! Siruveru has been very supportive and helpful while i was gathering info on what items and scales to sell at TDA09, i feel so thankful for all my customers and supporters ^ ^

i'm currently at a place where i'm a tad confused about where i'm going on this journey. i haven't had a stable source of income for at least 2 years, so the $ i get from random sales and commissions ise definitely welcome. however, i'm beginning to think that i need to sort out a direction for this blog/page. i know one thing for sure, i'm not going full blown commercial. where possible, i'll still put up tips, experiment results and maybe even more tutorials.

but please forgive me also if i start selling more 'advanced' techniques (like frosting etc) and molds and such. actually, if at all possible, i'd even love to publish some day. have some sort of passive income, so i can indulge more in my experiments and creations. i don't know why i feel so guilty for 'selling out'. i have resisted putting up ads and such on this page, and whatever little i earn goes back into materials and dog food. so really, i'm not sure why i keep feeling like a sellout :(

do people who suddenly switch from 'hobbyist' to 'full time miniaturist' all struggle with this, or are these issues more deeply rooted in my twisted mind than i first imagined?

thanks for reading. and yes, it is -that- time of the month *moody*

7 comments:

  1. More of taking the plunge, getting out of the comfort zone and changing a paradigm thing? *lol* Chit-chat later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel like a sell out, your works look great and you also need to survive=make money properly ^^;

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to purchase your book if you ever sold one :D
    Well, I hope all will be fine for you! :D You have talent and now all you need is to find a market which will purchase your items.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Selling out? No way!!! Think of it this way, selling items and molds is a way to promote the handmade community. I get a lot of buyers that tell me that they wish they could make and create what I make. So I give them hints and help them out and they craft but the funny part is, they still buy from me! I actually I have a person that buys at least one thing every week (I swear she's my "Patron of Roscata") and every day she works on tiny poly clay stuff and just writes to me to gab and ask questions. I think that your talent and the fact that you want to avoid being a traditional shop and seller will get you more customers and even long-time buyers. People coming to look at your tips and tricks will actually go to your website and buy more. Even advertisements are not bad on your blog - it's a way to compensate for the time you put into it. I started slowly, did some montly spots on Etsy's showcase (main page and gift guides) once I had a bit of inventory. It kind of took off unexpectedly. Right now I get enough to keep me happy - it's a great balance.

    Anyway, I'll shut up and wish you the best!!! If you have any questions about selling, just ask but I know you'll do fine!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Nyann, Chun, Anonymous and Rachael!

    Rachael, thank you for adding your experiences...i feel so much better reading it, knowing that it is a 'natural progression' XD don't shut up, your advice is great! yea i guess i'm just having the jitters, i've taken the first step by putting up 1 ad banner, it doesn't seem too obtrusive at the moment, and i highly doubt i'd rake in any income but what the hey...it at least serves as another stats counter ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy, do what you think you should. It is always hard for an artist to turn businesswoman. You will have to decide (only your own decision) where that line is when a price will be attached! Your work is good and people will always want to buy good work! I have very very good friends who are artisans but if I need their "services" even if it is to use their machines, I always pay their rates. Because when they need mine, they too will have to pay lol! It is much easier this way.

    I think Rachel's advice is great. She is someone experienced in this business and her words of wisdom is priceless. The local market is a very small one so you are already on the right track using etsy and having the world as your market. What Sumaiya does for our Singaporean artisans is also very important. Just hang in there. The journey is long but if you persevere, you will get that.

    The worst thing to happen for everyone is for snowfern clover to decide this is no longer worth it and she is closing shop. So make it worth it for yourself so that you will never stop working on your craft and we still continue to enjoy your art.

    After that long story, I have to tell you I failed in my Clear Tar Gel experiment (only 1 time). I will try again and see if I want to experiment with epoxy resin this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sans, there's the biggest thing about this craft. since it is, a -craft- most people (me inclusive i think) undervalue their own work. if i wish to turn it into a lucrative business, or even just a livelihood, i have to probably hit artisan or even artist status to command a price good enough to sustain a comfortable lifestyle.

    but who judges that anyway but myself, right? i feel another encumbering issue for me is self-worth and having to decide if i can continue doing this for $ and not just out of passion and obsession.

    Oh dear. did you document the process and why it failed? as to epoxy, remember to wear gloves if you're clumsy like me XD oh, and wet wipes help tremendously in case you need to cleanup any drips XD

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to comment! :D