Sunday, January 19, 2014

80s Singapore Stall, Folding Door and Lighting

More progress on my 80s Singapore project. This is something of a personal challenge, and to  be part of my portfolio. All that mucking about with small bits and bobs over the past few years was practice, and although it's the first time I'm trying out something less-than-'perfect', it shows I have come a long way from having to have everything in a set number of items, or finicky about the too-tiny-to-notice details (BUT IN MY HEART I KNOWWWWW). OCD much? NAWWWWWWW NOWAY

*snort* ok. so the folding door has been installed. I thought it looks abit like a toilet, what with the tiles and colour scheme, but these are what I remembered the stalls were like as a young kid. Not everything is measured to scale, this is not a scale model but a re-imagining of what a 8-12 year old's memory can retain. In all honesty, there's not that much I recall other than having to endure hours of waiting while my mother did the week's marketing. Bleary eyed at 6-8 in the morning every Sat/Sun meant I didn't have much to look forward to as my mom parked my brother and I in front of the soya bean stall (no, this mini is not a drinks store ;) ) to have our breakfast, and that also meant I had to keep an eye on him for those couple of hours. UNENDURABLE.

but it also contains the best part of my childhood memories. which I hope to encapsulate in 6 x 6 x 8 inches :)

Also did a generic lighting to show off the details which will be added later. I want to add a pendant light, am deciding on the lamp shade and it's...bleargh. feeling uninspired at the moment.



worked on making these biscuit tins as well. :) I guess by now you can sorta figure out what the stall will be selling? As for the cylinder, a few people have managed to guess what it will be for. It is (was?) a common sight in this region, Singapore and Malaysia as I've personally observed. Can you guess what it will become? :D

These were made out of aluminum sheets, cut out from those disposable aluminum trays/pie tins which are used at potlucks etc. I'm not sure about the thickness, it's super thin and I had previously mentioned using it to make clay cutters. Just be careful if you decide to fiddle with it okay??? It's a little delicate but since it's going to be affixed within the roombox, I'm not too concerned with the sturdiness.



As you've probably noticed already, I've put up some videos onto my youtube page. Remember to subscribe and share if you like my work! :P

http://www.youtube.com/user/snowfern




6 comments:

  1. Love the idea of those folding doors; that it mimics a real-life market stall. You did a great job with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pepper~~~! Thank you....I didn't know if these doors were popular overseas, they're pretty common here in SG, still!

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I can wait to see more progress on your market stall. The doors are so realistic and work perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa :) I'm glad the hinges are doing what they ought to XD

      Delete
  3. Those doors are amazing. Your attention to detail is outstanding! I love looking at your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Isabelle! I love reading your stories! SO CUTE

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time out to comment! :D